Indian Woman We Are Proud Of – Susieben Shah
- IWB Post
- April 24, 2015
Susieben Shah is a 45+ woman with many qualities. She is a social worker, businesswoman, lawyer and author.
As the Chairperson of Maharashtra State Commission for Women, she undertook many initiatives for safety, empowerment and dignity of Women. She created India’s 1st women owned and driven Taxi Service “Priyadarshini Taxi Service” to make traveling safer for women.
Apart from this, her focus has always been the welfare of children and women from the backward sections of society. She once said:
“Women from the unorganised labour class are the most vulnerable that include domestic workers, agricultural labourers and construction labourers. They are not covered under any government scheme nor provided any incentive by the government. Also, most crimes against them tend to go unreported. The mechanism needs to be put into place to organize them in some way.”
Isn’t she inspiring?
Check out her key achievements:
- As Chairperson of Maharashtra State Commission for Women, undertook many initiatives for Safety, Empowerment and Dignity of Women.
- Created India’s 1st Women owned and driven Taxi Service “Priyadarshini Taxi Service”, which has won many international and national accolades.
- Runs Government of India approved and supported Family Counseling Centre at Gowalia Tank providing free legal counseling and aid & police support / intervention where required.
- Promoting health and sports through Priyadarshini Park & Sports Complex Community Centre as its General Secretary.
- Founded Akhil Bhartiya Gharelu Kamgar Union for upliftment and empowerment of domestic workers and workers in the unorganized sector.
You can follow her on Twitter at https://twitter.com/shahsusieben.
Her website – http://susiebenshah.in/