FAMILY BED: pros and cons
- IWB Post
- January 25, 2014
Some experts believe the family bed works beautifully — strengthening bonds, simplifying nursing, and increasing cuddle time. Others believe the family bed prevents babies from learning to sleep on their own, discourages independence, and may increase the incidence of sleep disturbances. Here’s a look at some more ups and downs of co-sleeping:
The Pros of Co-Sleeping
- Encourages breastfeeding by making nighttime nursing more convenient
- Helps a nursing mom get her sleep cycle in sync with her baby’s
- Helps babies fall asleep more easily and go back to sleep more quickly when they wake up during the night
- Leads to more nighttime sleep overall for babies
- Helps parents who don’t see their baby much during the day regain a sense of intimacy with their child
The Cons of Co-Sleeping
- Potential risks. Pediatricians advise against sleeping in the same bed for safety purposes (inadvertently trap a baby in bed covers or in the space between the bed and the wall). But you can still experience most of the pros if you opt to share one room, instead of sleeping in the same bed.
- Less sleep for baby. Your super-attentive tendencies (picking baby up at the first whimper) may actually do more harm than good when it comes to (both of) you getting a good night’s sleep.
- Less intimacy between you and your husband. Let’s face it — can you really let it all hang out when baby is sleeping (or cooing) in the same room? If so, more power to you — your baby won’t remember a thing. But if you’re like most couples, either the two of you — or your child — have got to go for the passion to flow.
- Potential problems later on. While some experts argue that sleep sharing promotes independence by making baby feel secure, others say that the longer you wait to move baby out of your room, the greater the chances he’ll have a tough time adjusting when you finally do.
JWB opinion: we recommend to allow your kid to share the room with you, but not the bed, as the opposite can affect relationships with your husband. Woman should always maintain balance between being a mother and wife. Furthermore, let your bundle of happiness stay with you in the same room till 3 years old only. Then it is a high time to gift him or her a personal playing and sleeping space.
Most now admit that an issue this personal has to be decided by you, taking your own family’s needs and cultural background into consideration. Be sure that you’re making an informed decision and considering the opinion of your partner. As parenthood is supposed to strengthen the closeness, and not take two of you apart.
WHAT IS YOUR OPINION ON THIS? PLEASE SHARE IN COMMENTS!