2 Non-Clichéd Breakfasts You Can Surprise Your Mom With This Mother’s Day
- IWB Post
- May 12, 2018
Join the club if you haven’t yet decided how you’re going to surprise your mother tomorrow on Mother’s Day. TBH, it is so difficult to choose gifts for moms (read: women).
From customized desk kits for a working mom to membership of a hobby class for a non-working one, we’ve surprised them with almost everything, right? Not to forget the relaxing spa and their favourite jewellery piece that they’ve long wished to add to the bijoux box.
Since it’s a weekend and you are probably going to stay home, how about giving her a breakfast-in-bed surprise? Yeah, we know this is one of the most clichéd gift ideas EVER, but give this a thought – a healthy breakkie that’s super-quick to prepare, doesn’t need any chef-like skills to make it and is totally Instagram-worthy!
We’ve got two recipes for you – vegetarian and non-vegetarian. Pick your favourite and get going. We swear, these are so easy to prepare you don’t even need your sibling’s help. (Let them plan another surprise because you want to win, don’t ya? *evil grin*)
Potato, Green Bean, Chick Pea & Egg Salad with Green Garlic Pesto
Preparation time: 30-40 minutes
Ingredients for salad:
- 5 potatoes, cut into bite size pieces, boiled, and cooled
- 2 cups green beans, cooked el dente and cooled
- 400 ml chick peas, washed and drained
- 4-6 hard boiled eggs, peeled and cut in half
- Handful of fresh basil, chopped finely
Ingredients for Pesto:
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of one medium fresh lemon
- 8 fresh green garlic, white and light green parts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First make your pesto by combining all the ingredients into a food processor until well chopped and combined.
- Combine all the salad ingredients into a large bowl. Dress with the pesto, season with salt and pepper as needed. Enjoy right away or refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Don’t forget to send us pictures, alright!
Smoked Cheddar, Avocado, Spinach & Sun-Dried Tomato Grilled Cheese with Whole Grain Bread
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- 4 slices of whole grain sliced bread
- Earth Balance Spread (or butter)
- Smoked Cheddar
- 1 avocado
- ¼ cup sundries tomatos
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- Use your (butter) spread on one piece of the bread, and then lay it down on a plate, buttered side down, unbuttered side up. Place a thin layer of smoked cheddar. Then take one handful of baby spinach and chop it up. Spread it on top of the cheese. Slice the avocado, and lay half on top. Take half the sundries tomatoes and chop them up too, and place on top of the avocado. On another piece of bread cover once side with the spread (butter). And place the unbuttered side on top of the sandwich.
- Heat a pan over medium heat, and grill the sandwich until the cheese is melted, and the sandwich is nicely browned on both sides.
- Repeat steps 1-2 for the next sandwich.